Monday, October 16, 2017

Hidden Figures


         Defying Odds   

         Hidden Figures was a strong film about a black woman in the 60’s working for NASA, driving a mission to send the first man into space in the United States. The main character Katherine, is played extremely well. I felt the film to be incredibly moving and powerful. Throughout the film, it was easy to sit there and cringe at the disrespect that the “computers” got-(who were the black women working in distress). While the film had its moment of glory. For example, when Mr. Harrison started hitting down the “colored bathroom” sign. Then proceeding to claim there will no longer be any colored bathrooms at NASA. Another moment of glory was when the shuttle was in space, and Katherine helped confirm the coordinates and was shut out of the control room. As she started walking away, Mr. Harrison yelled for her to come back and therefore being a part of the mission.
              Overall, I felt the film well represented the frustration and struggle of living as a black woman during this time. It inspires me even more that it is based off a true story. And that these characters were real women who changed history, on an event that we didn’t even know about. My personal opinion drove me to feel frustrated, yet excited during this film. I felt the anger and joy for the suppressed women in this film just by watching their struggle. 
              It was wonderful seeing women who has changed history for African Americans and also the female community. These women changed history by driving the mission of sending our nations first man to the stars. Without these intelligent colored women, that barrier never would have been broken. Hidden Figures was an excellent film, that I would strongly recommend to anyone looking for an enjoyable and inspiring story to watch.

2 comments:

  1. I understand completely when you talk about feeling frustrated with this movie. It confuses me to know that black women, women, and black people, in general, contributed to our society and yet we have no knowledge of it because someone didn't write it in our history books. I would agree with you in thinking this movie was very exciting and also rewarding to the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you expressed that you felt anger and joy for the suppressed women in this movie. I know its weird to think that know of us have never heard of this event and the events that took place. I agree that it was an inspiring movie to watch.

    ReplyDelete